Friday 31 January 2014

The Square Mile

I wrote in my last post about my desire to challenge myself a bit more this year with some personal projects, the first of these being the street photography themed match day project. That project will continue at least through the remainder of the current football season, if not the rest of the year but, of course, I can only do that on certain days. I wanted to come up with something else, closer to home and this is where the 'square mile' comes from. The idea is that I challenge myself to create a portfolio of pictures constrained not by genre but by area; that area being a specific square mile. I may try this with other 'square miles' ultimately but to start with I will be working in the area defined above - a square mile centring on Helsby Hill. All photographs in the portfolio must be taken of or standing in that area and I will endeavour to cover as much of it as I can.

I know this area intimately but that doesn't necessarily mean I can easily create interesting images within it. It is, after all, a fairly ordinary village with little to distinguish it other than the modest heights of Helsby Hill itself. It is, however, an opportunity for me to try some new techniques.

I will not be setting myself a time limit but I will post periodic updates of my efforts here and, as always, welcome any comments. As a starter, here is a picture from this morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment